[ltp] DVD not working

Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:01:02 +0000

Matt Graham wrote:

>> To test the CD-RW, I suggest you run knoppix with "toram"  (assuming
>> you have 2GB of memory)
>
> That's a huge assumption to make.  2G isn't as much as it used to be,
> but it's not insanely common either.

Agreed :-)  You can still do this with DSL in a much smaller amount of RAM.

> Since the OP said the drive would read but not write CD-RW media, it's
> probable that he's not using a type of CD-RW that the drive can write.
> There are at least 4 different types of CD-RW media, called multi-speed
> (4x), high-speed (8x, I think), ultra-high speed (16x or 32x, I think),
> and ultra high speed+ (faster).  See what your drive supports with
> cdrecord -prcap , use appropriate media.

I thought that the limit was the other way around? i.e. a drive capable
of writing at 32x, but with media rated for 4x  would only write at 4x
speed. However, media rated for 32x can still be written (at lower
speed) with a 4x drive?

Are you saying that there exists any combination of CD-RW drive + media
which cannot burn at all, not even at 1x speed?

Richard