[ltp] DVD not working

Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:55:18 +0000

>> The MATSHITA UJDA745 DVD/CDRW on my refurbished T40 Thinkpad seems
>> faulty. It will read: CD-RW data discs, audio discs and photo discs.
>> But it will not read DVDs containing movies which can be read on
>> another computer running Mandriva 2007.

Another thought, which may help:
  Put in a commerical DVD, but instead of trying to play the disc, try
to mount the filesystem. You should find 2 directories named
VIDEO_SOMETHING_OROTHER and AUDIO_SOMETHING_OROTHER  (sorry - can't
recall exactly what!).

If you *can* see them => it's a DVD playback problem, either regionset
or css.

If you can't see them => almost certainly a hardware fault (possibly a
dirty lens or badly scratched disk though)

Obviously, you'll need linux for this - a nice way to do it is here:
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Richard