[ltp] Gates' pound of flesh

Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:25:42 +0000

Keith Gates wrote:
> On 1/20/07, *Ted Antkowiak* <tedward@techie.com
> <mailto:tedward@techie.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello All,
>
>     New subscriber here, with a question:
>
>     Has anyone here successfully purchased a new Thinkpad without
>     Windoze on it and without having to pay the built-in licence fee to
>     Microsoft?
>
>     If so (or even if not, but you tried to), would you share your
>     story?  Thanks!
>
>     - tedward
>

> I read a story on slashdot a few weeks ago.  About a guy that called
> cell a bunch of time to refund his money for something he was not going
> to use.  He got his money back so you might want to look up that.

Is there any way to get IBM to ship you a proper Windows Install disk,
rather than the pointless recovery partition? Much though I loathe XP,
it is occasionally useful, but I'd like my copy to be within QEMU, not
on a partition on its own. Alternatively, is there any way to transfer
XP from the installed partition into some sort of VM?

Richard