[ltp] Gates' pound of flesh

Baz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:01:50 -0800

------=_Part_1505_17410533.1169344910429

On 1/20/07, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Keith Gates wrote:
> > On 1/20/07, *Ted Antkowiak* <tedward@techie.com
> > <mailto:tedward@techie.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello All,
> >
> >     New subscriber here, with a question:
> >
> >     Has anyone here successfully purchased a new Thinkpad without
> >     Windoze on it and without having to pay the built-in licence fee to
> >     Microsoft?
> >
> >     If so (or even if not, but you tried to), would you share your
> >     story?  Thanks!
> >
> >     - tedward
> >

> > I read a story on slashdot a few weeks ago.  About a guy that called
> > cell a bunch of time to refund his money for something he was not going
> > to use.  He got his money back so you might want to look up that.
> >

> Is there any way to get IBM to ship you a proper Windows Install disk,
> rather than the pointless recovery partition? Much though I loathe XP,
> it is occasionally useful, but I'd like my copy to be within QEMU, not
> on a partition on its own. Alternatively, is there any way to transfer
> XP from the installed partition into some sort of VM?
>
> Richard
>
> --

I haven't experienced it personally - but, I've read quite a bit on the
subject; that is, IBM/Lenovo pre-installing Linux (or in your case, shipping
w/no OS) on Thinkpads.  As you've probably heard, Lenovo entered into an
agreement with Novell (SUSE) to pre-install SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
(SLED) on Thinkpads (or desktops) ONLY to large customers.  That is,
customers who buy in bulk.  Individuals will be eligible eventually, but no
exact time-frame was given.  My experience with IBM/Lenovo is that they have
revealed themselves to be flexible.  To second a previous comment on this
string - just ask them.  IBM (and it's my wish Lenovo is the same) is no
fool.  They didn't become the industry standard by dismissing reasonable
requests.  Please keep in mind, they have Microsoft looking over their
shoulders - and they must still do business with them.  However, IBM at
least has established themselves in the fore-front of the Linux Revolution
(see their own commercial from 2003 about Linux) and, they've been around
far longer.  I'm satisfied with my relatively new Thinkpad - so much so,
I've begun looking into buying a desktop system.

Regards,
Sebastian

--
"...heart and soul....one will burn."
- Joy Division

------=_Part_1505_17410533.1169344910429

ername">Richard Neill</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk" tar=
get=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">rn2=
14@hermes.cam.ac.uk
</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin-top=
: 0; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 0; margin-left: 0.80ex=
; border-left-color: #cccccc; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-style: so=
lid; padding-left: 1ex">
=3D"mailto:tedward@techie.com" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.O=
penExtLink(window,event,this)">tedward@techie.com</a><br>&gt; &lt;mailto:<a=
 href=3D"mailto:tedward@techie.com" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top=
.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
sp; Hello All,<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; New subscriber here,=
 with a question:<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Has anyone here s=
uccessfully purchased a new Thinkpad without<br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
; Windoze on it and without having to pay the built-in licence fee to=20
p;&nbsp; If so (or even if not, but you tried to), would you share your<br>=
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; story?&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks!<br>&gt;<br>&gt;&nbsp=
shdot a few weeks ago.&nbsp;&nbsp;About a guy that called=20
going<br>&gt; to use.&nbsp;&nbsp;He got his money back so you might want to=
 proper Windows Install disk,=20
br>it is occasionally useful, but I&#39;d like my copy to be within QEMU, n=
ot<br>on a partition on its own. Alternatively, is there any way to transfe=
r=20
ttp://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad" target=3D=
"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad </a><br><=
/blockquote></div><br>I haven&#39;t experienced it personally - but, I&#39;=
ve read quite a bit on the subject; that is, IBM/Lenovo pre-installing&nbsp=
;Linux (or in your case, shipping w/no OS) on Thinkpads. &nbsp;As you&#39;v=
e probably heard, Lenovo entered into an agreement with Novell (SUSE) to pr=
e-install SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) on Thinkpads (or desktops) O=
NLY to large customers. &nbsp;That is, customers who buy in bulk. &nbsp;Ind=
ividuals will be eligible eventually, but no exact time-frame was given. &n=
bsp;My experience with IBM/Lenovo is that they have revealed themselves to =
be flexible. &nbsp;To second a previous comment on this string - just ask t=
hem. &nbsp;IBM (and it&#39;s my wish Lenovo is the same) is no fool. &nbsp;=
They didn&#39;t become the industry standard by dismissing reasonable reque=
sts. &nbsp;Please keep in mind, they have Microsoft looking over their shou=
lders - and they must still do business with them. &nbsp;However, IBM at le=
ast has established themselves in the fore-front of the Linux Revolution (s=
ee their own commercial from 2003 about Linux) and, they&#39;ve been around=
 far longer. &nbsp;I&#39;m satisfied with my relatively new Thinkpad - so m=
uch so, I&#39;ve begun looking into buying a desktop system.=20
d soul....one will burn.&quot;<br>- Joy Division  =20

------=_Part_1505_17410533.1169344910429--