[ltp] x31 vs x41

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:07:18 -0500

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 12:59 +0100, Rolf Kutz wrote:
> Hello,

> I've been a happy user of my 600e for some years
> now, but lately I've been thinking a lot about
> upgrading to a faster model. I've been thinking
> about getting a used x31 or x41. Is it worth the
> extra money to get a x41? Any drawbacks?

I couldn't tell you about an X41, but the X31 is an excellent Linux
machine.  All the built-in hardware of my X31 works with Ubuntu Linux,
with relatively little tweaking.  Pop in a 120G 5400 RPM hard drive and
a gigabyte or so of RAM, and the system is quite snappy.

Possible disadvantages of the X31?  The graphics card is fairly ancient
(Radeon Mobility M6 LY), so don't expect stellar performance for 3D
gaming.  I don't do 3D gaming on my laptop, so that wasn't a big deal
for me.  Also, if you're wanting a tablet PC, the X31 is obviously
out. :)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com