[ltp] x31 vs x41

Macskasi Csaba linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:02:29 +0100

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:13:51 +0100, Jaime Davila <jdavila@hampshire.edu>
wrote:

> I have that same problem. AFAIK, it has to do with screen overlays and
> such. As someone else suggested, you can tell mplayer which driver to
> use, which would solve the problem. You'll need to tell it to use x11 as
> opposed to xv. You are right with your reply to that message, though:
> mplayer doesn't manage dvd menus.

mplayer -vo x11 -zoom -fs dvd://i
...where i is the number of the "track" you want to watch. What else do
you need? ;-)
However this "solution" is not nice because the resizing is done by the
cpu and not by the gpu. Therefore the system gets hotter and the load is
higher. The only real solution is to set the video layer properly. If I
have both monitors enabled with xinerama, I can move the
video-output-window between the 2 monitors and I have video output on
both. (Of course not at the same time) If the 2 monitors are in
"mirror-mode" (same content) than the video layer only works on one
monitor.
One can easily test the weekness of the video layer: Play two movies at
the same time with xv output. It won't work. If you use x11 as vo, the
number of played videos at the same time is afaik only limited by your
cpu/memory.
The x11 driver is also more flexible: You can watch a video while the
first half of the video-output-window is on the left screen and the second
one is on the right...

Regards,
Csaba

--
Macskasi Csaba
bitumen at tuxworld dot homelinux dot org