[ltp] x41 monitor selection (was Re: x31 vs x41 )

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:21:14 -0500

i (paul) wrote:
 > macskasi wrote:
 >  > On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:54:18 +0100, Paul Fox <pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us>
 >  > wrote:
 >  > > i get both.  (i know i get both in some set of boot-up
 >  > > conditions -- i'm just not sure right now what those conditions
 >  > > are.)  but after that, if i use the fn-key to cycle the states,
 >  > > i can no longer get both displays to work.
 >  > Have you tried to switch displays by writing to the file
 >  > /proc/acpi/ibm/video ?
 >
 > no, i haven't.  i'll try that.

finally had a chance to try this.  using the video_switch command
to that proc node has the same effect as using the fn-key:  the
lcd by itself works fine, and the monitor by itself works fine, but
both together does not work.  when they're both enabled together,
i get "Input not supported" on the monitor.  (i'd forgotten this
symptom when i wrote the other day.)  the monitor is a 1280x1024
19" LCD.  i've never asked it, via X, to do anything but match the
laptop's 1024x768, however, and that's the dimension that displays
correctly when i select just the monitor.

i suspect my X configuration is incorrect, but i confess, i'm not
sure how to go about fixing it.  like i said, i'm perfectly happy
using just 1024x768 externally, to match the internal display dimensions.
i don't run on the external display often enough to want to deal
with changing desktop sizes, etc.  (unless someone has a recipe to
make that _totally_ painless.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 2.1 degrees)