[ltp] choose a x30 or x31 or ... for second used laptop.

Francois Maltey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
01 Jul 2007 13:36:14 +0200

Hi everybody !

I use everyday my thinkpad t42 for work.

This one become old : 3 year - very few months
and it must be repair twice during this 3 years :
fan after 13 months, and mother board around graphic chip after 2.5 year.

I like this laptop for my work.
I'll replace it by a t61-15.4"lcd only when this t42 will be out of work,
I want to have a really tree years warranty. It's too usefull !

But I'm looking for a second cheaper laptop which can
replace the t42 during few weeks ;
and I search a smaller laptop for journey or daily trip.

I don't know if I want a CD/DVD reader :

My kids want a dvd-reader for hollydays, and they borrow my laptop.
But it's possible to watch film from divx files, and I can copy
work cd-roms to hard disk by network.

I want an inside wireless card, and a 3 hours battery if possible.
I don't need a fast processor. I use emacs, latex and firefox.
I run open-office very seldom.

I don't want to use my wife laptop r50 because it's too heavy.

So I'll looking for a x30 or a x31, is it a right choice.

I'm in France.
x30 ebay announces are arround 360 EUR with shipping and without bid.
x31 are arround 460 EUR. The price with bid seems almost the same.
priceminister.com and 2xmoinscher.com are arround the same price.

What must I look before I buy it ?

Thanks for your advices !

Francois, in France.