[ltp] choose a x30 or x31 or ... for second used laptop.

Frédéric BOITEUX linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 07:37:04 +0200

Le dim 01 jui 2007 13:36:14 CEST, Francois Maltey <fmaltey@nerim.fr> a
écrit :

> But I'm looking for a second cheaper laptop which can
> replace the t42 during few weeks ;
> and I search a smaller laptop for journey or daily trip.
>
> I don't know if I want a CD/DVD reader :
>
> My kids want a dvd-reader for hollydays, and they borrow my laptop.
> But it's possible to watch film from divx files, and I can copy
> work cd-roms to hard disk by network.
>
> I want an inside wireless card, and a 3 hours battery if possible.
> I don't need a fast processor. I use emacs, latex and firefox.
> I run open-office very seldom.
>
> I don't want to use my wife laptop r50 because it's too heavy.
>
> So I'll looking for a x30 or a x31, is it a right choice.
>
> I'm in France.
> x30 ebay announces are arround 360 EUR with shipping and without bid.
> x31 are arround 460 EUR. The price with bid seems almost the same.
> priceminister.com and 2xmoinscher.com are arround the same price.
>
> What must I look before I buy it ?

	Hello,

  I've purchased a second-hand X31 at the beginning of the year, and
I'm pleased with it and the linux support level.
  It is not too heavy to travel, has a good screen. You can have a
CD/DVD reader on an Ultrabase... I found only 2 drawbacks :

- the battery had the same age as the laptop, about 3 years, so I had
only about 1 and 1/4 hour available... Using latest tickless kernels
with appropriate patches and Powertop let me have up to 2 hours :-)

- the wireless card installed in my laptop wasn't supported by modern
Linux (or without WPA :-(, so I have to replace it with linux-friendly
one.

	Fred.