[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] thinkpad-acpi release 0.14-20070701 available in sf.net

Timo Hoenig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:35:16 +0200

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 08:21 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

> Right I get that; the reason why I want to make thinkpad-keys go away
> is that it's one of the top powerhogs as measured by powertop in terms
> making the CPU wake up all the time.

Yupp.

> The question I was asking was how do I make my Ubuntu/Feisty
> userspace's *use* the new input events, so that things like the
> brightness controls and volume up/down buttons actually work
> correctly without thinkpad-keys running....

My Ubuntu skills are very limited.  However, as long as a user is
running either GNOME or KDE, things should just work.  The mixer
applications pick up the volume up and down events.

Handling brightness events for ThinkPads is another story.  The events
will reach user space but user space is not ought to do anything as they
are handled in hardware (c.f. [1]).  But thinkpad-keys did not do
anything about this anyway.

   Timo

[1] hal-info / laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal-info.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-laptop-panel-hardware.fdi