[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] thinkpad-acpi release 0.14-20070701 available in sf.net

Richard Hughes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:24:42 +0100

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 16:43 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 14:35 +0200, Timo Hoenig wrote:
> > > Handling brightness events for ThinkPads is another story.  The events
> > > will reach user space but user space is not ought to do anything as they
> > > are handled in hardware (c.f. [1]).  But thinkpad-keys did not do
> > > anything about this anyway.
> >
> > Well, on my X60 as soon as I load the thinkpad_acpi driver I get:
> >
> > [root@work Code]# modprobe thinkpad_acpi
> > [root@work Code]# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
> > status:         enabled
> > mask:           0x008c7fff
> > commands:       enable, disable, reset, <mask>
> >
> > and the brightness keys are disabled. This surprised me, as I thought
> > that the brightness control was done in physical hardware.
>
> The above is geared for the non-broken firmwares before the *60, it means
> "leave the brightness keys alone", and not "disable them"...  nowadays I am
> not sure of what a *60 latest BIOS would do anymore :(

Gotcha.

> You wouldn't get any events from the keys, but they should work by
> themselves.

Nope.

> When you set the status to disabled, do they start to work?

Nope. I only get BRIGHTNESSUP when if do enable,0xffffffff - no hardware
changes are made as soon as I load thinkpad_acpi.

> > [root@work Code]# echo 0x00ffffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
> >
> > Before I get brightnessup and brightnessdown events which
> > gnome-power-manager handles to change the backlight brightness manually.
>
> Well, the event part is right.  But the need to change brightness manually
> is NOT how it was supposed to work.

Sure, but it works well for me :-) Seriously tho, in HAL we already
blacklist certain models that do this in hardware, and the default is
the hardware needs to be manually poked.

> > Maybe 0x00ffffff should be the default make when
> > CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED is defined?
>
> Not so fast.  If we need it to be the default in the *60, I will also have
> to set the keycodes, and it I will have to add a model-specific-knowledge
> layer to thinkpad-acpi.  I don't mind doing that, but it is two or three
> patches more than just changing the bitmask :-)

Maybe. I know 0x00ffffff works for me, but then I'm running
gnome-power-manager. This wouldn't work on the console.

Richard.