[ltp] CALL FOR TESTING: thinkpad-acpi BETA release 0.14-20070708

Sun, 8 Jul 2007 01:07:24 -0300

I have released test version 0.14-20070708 of thinkpad-acpi through the
sourceforge.net release system.

For now, it is only available as a patch against 2.6.21.6, but if someone
needs if for 2.6.20.15, please drop me a note.  You can find it at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=117042&package_id=230205

This release is being done to try to fix the Lenovo ThinkPads backlight
brightness control and hot key issues for 2.6.23.  However, this means I
need *testers*.  If we don't test it enough, support for those thinkpads
may remain broken in 2.6.23.

This test release should not break anything for IBM thinkpads, but testing
on those thinkpads is also welcome.  It does make some changes to the
default hot key keymap on both types of thinkpads, though.

Changes:
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (6):
      ACPI: thinkpad_acpi: use bool for boolean parameters
      ACPI: thinkpad-acpi: add basic CMOS NVRAM support
      pci-ids: add Lenovo PCI vendor ID
      ACPI: thinkpad-acpi: store ThinkPad model information
      ACPI: thinkpad-acpi: allow use of CMOS NVRAM for brightness control
      ACPI: thinkpad-acpi: react to Lenovo ThinkPad differences in hot key

HOW AND WHAT TO TEST:

	You should test the brightness and volume hot keys, and also
	brightness control through the procfs or sysfs interfaces.

	You should test it with and without the ACPI video module loaded.
	start the test with the ACPI video module *loaded*, and only if
	something weird happens, unload it.

	Please test it *without* GNOME or KDE, and without tpb,
	thinkpad-keys, or any other NVRAM thinkpad key helper loaded first
	(i.e. in a console, or somesuch).  Then, test it in your normal
	desktop environment.

	Expected behaviour:
		* brightness control interface works (procfs writes)
		* brightness up/down keys work in console mode as long as
		ACPI video is loaded.

	Expected breakage (need reports to avoid it):
		* T60, X60, Z-series that are not using the latest
		  "Vista-ready" BIOSes may not work fine, and require the
		  "brightness_mode=3" parameter to work.

	I am not sure about the volume hot keys.  Nobody reported how they
	are behaving on the *60 and *61 machines yet directly to me, but I
	have seen some mentions of only mute working.  They might need the
	same fix that was done to brightness.  Please check that.

	When reporting results:
		* ALWAYS include your BIOS *full* version (e.g. 1ZET99WW)
		* Please include model name (e.g. Lenovo X60t)

Other data:
	thinkpad-acpi will select "brightness_mode=2" for lenovo thinkpads,
	and "brightness_mode=3" for IBM thinkpads.  If things are not
	working, try messing with that parameter and report back if it fixes
	things.

	If volume is not working, please check if EC offset 0x30 is being
	modified by volume keys, and wether modifying its contents modify
	the volume, much like the way it was done to track down the
	brightness issue.  CMOS commands 0, 1 and 2 should work if offset
	0x30 is not.  Please report back with your findings.

	The kernel ACPI video module reacts to the ACPI brightness change
	events, and the new BIOSes apparently do produce those instead of
	changing the brightness directly in firmware. So, the presence of
	this module may be a key factor on brightness keys working, and I
	need to know about this for sure.

	tpb, thinkpad-keys and HAL often react to brightness UP/DOWN as
	well, and so they might skew test results.  Therefore, please test
	in a console with these things unloaded first, and then test with
	whatever your normal desktop environment is.

Thank you for your help.

  Henrique Holschuh