[ltp] xorg and intel driver

Nathaniel Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 00:09:21 -0700

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 12:39:21PM +1000, Takis Diakoumis wrote:
> my recent upgrade of xorg to 7.2 with the new and renamed 'intel' driver
> (from i810) appears to have removed some of the options i previously
> applied to the device settings. as a result i can no longer 'just plug
> in' my vga cable and get the display cloned to an external
> monitor/projector. i never really used the Fn-F7 video switch as i never
> really needed it since the external display was 'always' available.
> my xorg settings for the device are below:

For me (X60, intel, recent xorg), plugging in a VGA monitor doesn't
automatically activate it, and Fn-F7 does nothing.  But if I plug in a
VGA monitor and then run 'xrandr --auto', then the external monitor
activates just as it should.  (There are various other xrandr switches
that should let one tweak the external display handling.)

I would be curious to know how to make this happen automagically, but
for now I just put a launcher for 'xrandr --auto' on my panel, and
that makes activating an external screen into a one-click task, no
fuss.

-- Nathaniel

--
"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield