[ltp] CALL FOR TESTING: thinkpad-acpi BETA release 0.14-20070708

Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:40:10 -0300

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007, Sebastian Schmidt wrote:
> I tested a bit. Notebook is Lenovo X60s, BIOS version is 2.07
> (7BETC6WW) as of 2007-02-06.

Not the latest one, I don't know if that will affect anything, but...

> Brightness buttons work and generate the following ACPI events:
> * Down:
>   ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00005010
>   video LCD0 00000087 00000000

The video one is the one that matters.  The new hotkey event, I don't know
what it is supposed to be used for.

> However, each time pressing a brightness key brings up the following:
>   thinkpad_acpi: unknown LID-related hotkey event: 0x5010
>   set_level status: 0

Ignore the 0x5010 one.  The other tells you that ACPI video is doing
something.

> When pressing a button, the display has a "lag" of about 1.5 seconds for
> the brightness to get applied. Also, setting brightness via /proc
> doesn't work:
>   echo: write error: invalid argument

This is strange. Does it work over sysfs?

> with 0 to 7. Same result with brightness_mode=3 (but more on that
> below). Nothing in dmesg.

brightness_mode=3 won't work on your thinkpad, the debug messages you posted
below tell me that much. You need brightness_mode=2.

> >   I am not sure about the volume hot keys.  Nobody reported how they
> >   are behaving on the *60 and *61 machines yet directly to me, but I
> >   have seen some mentions of only mute working.  They might need the
> >   same fix that was done to brightness.  Please check that.
>
> Work here, but only after echo 0xffffffff > /proc/apci/ibm/hotkey:
> * Mute:        ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001017
> * Volume down: ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001016
> * Volume up:   ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001015

That's normal.

> The blue "ThinkVantage" key however doesn't even work with 0xffffffff.

That isn't.  No idea why it didn't work, it would be nice to have a report
from someone with a X60s and the 2.11 BIOS.

> After I noticed brightness isn't working, I tried reloading
> thinkpad_acpi with brightness_mode=3 and got the following from
> modprobe:
>   FATAL: Error inserting thinkpad_acpi
>     (/lib/modules/.../misc/thinkpad_acpi.ko): Input/output error
>
> Strange enough, the module *got* loaded:

It tried to load, noticed it would malfunction, and banged out with an error
before it could do any damage:

>   thinkpad_acpi: CMOS NVRAM (7) and EC (0) do not agree on display
>   brightness level

This means we can't go writing to the EC and CMOS at the same time, so it
bangs out with an error, looks like I will have to improve this error
message.

>   thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.14
>   thinkpad_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
>   thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 7BETC6WW (2.07 ), EC 7BHT37WW-1.10
>   thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad X60s
>   thinkpad_acpi: radio switch found; radios are enabled
>   input: ThinkPad Extra Buttons as /class/input/input8
>
> (Yes, the "thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.14" line and the
> following ones *were* displayed twice.)

Weird. I will check this.

> What makes me wonder a bit is the last line of each paste. The first
> time the driver gets registered as input7, the second time as input8. Is
> this a bug (not unregistering the driver), or doesn't the kernel
> allocate an input device node twice?

It doesn't alocate the input device node twice, AFAIK.  Because the driver
should be unregistering the input device just fine...

> I don't know if that might be helpful, but right after booting the
> following showed up in dmesg:
>   ACPI Warning (tbfadt-0434): Optional field "Gpe1Block" has zero address
>   or length: 000000000000102C/0 [20070126]

Buggy crap in the ACPI tables. My T43 also has it. I am just ignoring it,
for now.

> Uhm, I don't run a desktop environment so neither hal, tpb or anything
> else got loaded. This shouldn't make any difference, should it? (I

It could, if brightness was working fine in your box, and HAL or tpb noticed
the key press through the NVRAM, and increased/decreased it manually.

  Henrique Holschuh