[ltp] CALL FOR TESTING: thinkpad-acpi BETA release 0.14-20070708

Sebastian Schmidt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 00:02:27 +0200

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 06:40:10PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jul 2007, Sebastian Schmidt wrote:
> > I tested a bit. Notebook is Lenovo X60s, BIOS version is 2.07
> > (7BETC6WW) as of 2007-02-06.
>
> Not the latest one, I don't know if that will affect anything, but...

Hmm, strange: I double-checked my Thinkpad update tool about a few hours
ago but it didn't show up a BIOS update. Although I remember having seen
one some time ago. I'll check this tomorrow.

> > When pressing a button, the display has a "lag" of about 1.5 seconds for
> > the brightness to get applied. Also, setting brightness via /proc
> > doesn't work:
> >   echo: write error: invalid argument
>
> This is strange. Does it work over sysfs?

Yep, that works. By the way, just looking at
/sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/actual_brightness, I wonder if that
shouldn't be called "current_brightness" instead? (No idea if you mean
the acutal or the current brightness, I'm just asking because this is a
very common "false friend" in germany ;-).)

Do you have an idea about the delay between pressing the button and the
display finally adjusting brightness? Setting via sysfs causes the
brightness to change immediately.

> > The blue "ThinkVantage" key however doesn't even work with 0xffffffff.
>
> That isn't.  No idea why it didn't work, it would be nice to have a report
> from someone with a X60s and the 2.11 BIOS.

I'll see if I can get a 2.11 tomorrow.

> > Uhm, I don't run a desktop environment so neither hal, tpb or anything
> > else got loaded. This shouldn't make any difference, should it? (I
>
> It could, if brightness was working fine in your box, and HAL or tpb noticed
> the key press through the NVRAM, and increased/decreased it manually.

tpb works fine, but I tested it without tpb.

Greetings,
  Sebastian