[ltp] CALL FOR TESTING: thinkpad-acpi BETA release 0.14-20070708

Sun, 8 Jul 2007 20:12:52 -0300

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007, Sebastian Schmidt wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 06:40:10PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007, Sebastian Schmidt wrote:
> > > I tested a bit. Notebook is Lenovo X60s, BIOS version is 2.07
> > > (7BETC6WW) as of 2007-02-06.
> >
> > Not the latest one, I don't know if that will affect anything, but...
>
> Hmm, strange: I double-checked my Thinkpad update tool about a few hours
> ago but it didn't show up a BIOS update. Although I remember having seen
> one some time ago. I'll check this tomorrow.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-63144

It is there, but don't ask me why the system update tool didn't offer it to
you (better read the README to make sure you want it, etc).

> > > When pressing a button, the display has a "lag" of about 1.5 seconds for
> > > the brightness to get applied. Also, setting brightness via /proc
> > > doesn't work:
> > >   echo: write error: invalid argument
> >
> > This is strange. Does it work over sysfs?
>
> Yep, that works. By the way, just looking at

Ok. Exaclty what did you echo to /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness? It seems to be
working just fine, here...

> /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/actual_brightness, I wonder if that
> shouldn't be called "current_brightness" instead? (No idea if you mean
> the acutal or the current brightness, I'm just asking because this is a
> very common "false friend" in germany ;-).)

Maybe, but you'll have to fight the backlight class mainainer over it :-) It
was not my choice.  I think the idea is that both are current, but actual is
what is really in hardware, i.e. the closest it could get to what you
asked, or somesuch.

> Do you have an idea about the delay between pressing the button and the
> display finally adjusting brightness? Setting via sysfs causes the
> brightness to change immediately.

ACPI video must be doing something weird.  thinkpad-acpi does *not* touch
the brightness stuff unless you are reading or writing to its backlight
sysfs interface, or to /proc stuff.

  Henrique Holschuh