[ltp] no /proc/acpi/battery entry after ultrabay hotswap

Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:30:21 +0200

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 12:43:00 +0200, Marcus Obst wrote:
> Tino Keitel schrieb am Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 08:31:24AM +0200 folgendes:
>
> Hi Tino,
>
> > when I boot with the DVD drive in the Ultrabay, and swap it with the
> > Ultrabay battery, I don't see a /proc/acpi/battery entry for the second
> > battery.
>
> as far as I know this is the normal behaviour.  If you want to see the
> proc entry of the second battery you should _boot_ with ultrabay
> containing it.   Then you can hotswap the battery or the DVD drive as
> often as you want!  Eveytime you plug in the battery you will get the
> second proc entry as you expect.

I tried this using the "hotswap" tool and ended up with a DVD drive
without DMA transfers, so this doesn't look like a usefull procedure.

I read about this issue un thinkwiki.org, which mentions lt_hotswap to
get IDE hotswap with DMA enabled. However, there is also stated that
lt_hotwap doesn't work with libata, only with the old IDE drivers
(ide_cd).

I currently use the old IDE driver, but I want to switch to libata
soon.

So, how to get hotswapping the battery and DVD drive to work with
recent kernels and DMA enabled?

Regards,
Tino