[ltp] harddrive replacement

Matthias Redlich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:56:51 +0200

Hi,

a few days ago my thinkpad R52 startet to perform really bad. After running several diagnostic tools (pc doctor, drive fitness tests..) I am pretty sure that it's due to my harddrive. It's a S-ATA 100/60 GB/5400rpm hitachi harddisk (HT541060G9AT00). I suppose that my drive has problems with the mechanics and cannot be rescued anymore. All data can still be accessed but it is _really_ slow.

1.) Hitachi's drive fitness test says "low system performance" and "Disposition code = 0x45" which does not help me at all. Furthermore the "Smart selftest" from pc doctor does not pass. Does anybody know what this probably means? Is it worth/possible to repair the disk?

2.) As I've already mentioned I think that I'll need to buy a new harddrive. Which models do you recommend (about the same capacity and speed)? I'm looking for a disk which interacts with hdaps without a problem and has a low power consumption.

Thanks in advance
Matthias