[ltp] R51 won't boot - what to do?

Oleg Sverdlov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 00:50:52 +0200

--------------030605070209070107020209

Hi Ted,

it was a lousy video chip. The guy opens a computer, presses the chip
with his finger, and it works. He removes the finger - it stops working.
Don't know how to fix that chip on the board.

So I've got the motherboard replaced for $200 in local repair shop.
Certainly cheaper than $600 offer by IBM service. Had to wait 1 month
because they were waiting for replacement chips but finally got the
board replaced.

May be I had to try to find some special glue and stick the chip to the
board first, don't know.

Oleg.

Ted Frater wrote:

>>> Also wether your experienced enough to open up the covers on the
>>> underside and or remove the keyboard to unplug the memory chips and re
>>> place them.
>>> It sounds like an intermittent contact problem, or an improper seating
>>> main processor.
>>>
>> I don't have a problem opening the case. Will try it before
>> considering other options. An engineer told me about video chip and
>> its FPGA contacts problem. Certainly replacing the chip will be
>> cheaper than the motherboard.
>> "Where I am" are you asking about geographic position? I'm in Israel.
>>
> I havnt had this model  thinkpad in bits but my experience of thinkpads(
> im a s/h dealer in them in the  S UK) is that the video chip is invariably soldered to the main board. You could try to run it on an external monitor to see if its this chip
> or something else. Let us know how you get on,
Well

> -

With best regards,
Oleg.
*OLS Software* Websites Building, PHP Development.
Tel./Fax 03-613-2865 , mobile: 054-424-0865
URL http://www.ols.co.il

--------------030605070209070107020209

<head>
</head>
chip. The guy opens a computer, presses the chip with his finger, and
it works. He removes the finger - it stops working. Don't know how to
fix that chip on the board. </p>
motherboard replaced for $200 in local repair shop. Certainly cheaper
than $600 offer by IBM service. Had to wait 1 month because they were
waiting for replacement chips but finally got the board replaced.<br>
find some special glue and stick the chip to the board first, don't
know.</p>
      <pre wrap="">Also wether your experienced enough to open up the covers on the
underside and or remove the keyboard to unplug the memory chips and re
place them.
It sounds like an intermittent contact problem, or an improper seating
main processor.
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I don't have a problem opening the case. Will try it before
considering other options. An engineer told me about video chip and
its FPGA contacts problem. Certainly replacing the chip will be
cheaper than the motherboard.
"Where I am" are you asking about geographic position? I'm in Israel.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap="">
I havnt had this model  thinkpad in bits but my experience of thinkpads(
im a s/h dealer in them in the  S UK) is that the video chip is invariably soldered to the main board. You could try to run it on an external monitor to see if its this chip
or something else. Let us know how you get on,</pre>
Well<br>
  <pre wrap="">-
  </pre>
Oleg.
<strong>OLS Software</strong> Websites Building, PHP Development.
<small><br>
Tel./Fax 03-613-2865 , mobile: 054-424-0865
URL <a href="http://www.ols.co.il">http://www.ols.co.il</a>
</small></div>

--------------030605070209070107020209--