[ltp] Re: Upgrading BIOS in Linux?

Evgeni Golov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:55:06 +0200

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:38:25 -0300 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Heh. No, I am not a thinkpad hardware hacker...

But you know the hardware better than me ;)

> > Unfortunately this does NOT work on my Thinkpads (Z61m and X31), so I
> > would like to know, if someone is able to use flashrom in his TP, and
> > if nobody, would it be possible to hack flashrom to support TPs.
>
> It is often dangerous to mess with laptops this way.  Especially thinkpads.
> The flash procedure likely is able to update the vital product data eeprom,
> for example, and you don't want that one to get screwed.  If you want to
> try, be my guest, but I definately don't recommend it.

I don't want to brick my TP either, so I just asked flashrom, if it
would support my bios, and it said no :(
So I thought you guys might know how to get this (safely) working.

> IMHO it is best to burn a CD image and flash the bios using IBM's tools.  It
> is not like you'll need to do it more than once an year for your X31 (if at
> all), and the Z61m is not likely to receive many firmware updates in the
> future anymore, either.

Of course you're right for my two boxes, but as updating BIOS is kinda
tricky if you do not have an CD/DVD drive or windows, I thought flashrom
would be a nice alternative for all TP owners without windows and cdrom.

Regards
Evgeni