[ltp] Upgrading BIOS in Linux?

Michael Karcher linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:03:04 +0200

--=-xa1n/sE5dbSnRtfxo17I

Am Montag, den 16.07.2007, 17:23 +0200 schrieb Evgeni Golov:
> It is as easy as:
> 1. check if flashrom supports your chip
> 2. get bios from vendor, extract bin
> 3. backup old bios
> 4. flash new one
> 5. verify new one
>=20
> Unfortunately this does NOT work on my Thinkpads (Z61m and X31)
I looked at the source. It won't work on a Thinkpad T20 too. I don't
know about other models, but probably at least T2x use some IBM
proprietary bank switching and write enable bits for the ROM chips,
accessed via some GPIO chip called IMGA in the DSDT, residing at port
15EC..15EF.

> and if nobody, would it be possible to hack flashrom to support TPs.
As bank switching is not yet in the design of flashrom, the needed hack
gets a bit bigger than adding three lines of code.

> Regards
> Evgeni

Greets,
  Michael Karcher