[ltp] /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness does not exist

Robert D. Crawford linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:44:53 -0500

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> writes:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Robert D. Crawford wrote:
>> screen brightness is only dropping slightly on unplugging.  Tracking the
>
> That's the standard dim-display-a-bit-on-battery stuff the BIOS does.

Yeah, I figured.  That was what led me to believe there was a problem.
Before there was 2 "steps" to brightness when I unplugged: step 1 was
the lighter(bios) and then it got dark (what I set via
/proc/acpi/ibm/brightness).

>> problem down I realized there is no /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness.  I think
>
> Is there a /proc/acpi/ibm at all?  If not, you're missing ibm-acpi.

There was/is.

>> video
>
> Remove ACPI video. 2.6.18's version of it is broken beyond repair.

Maybe solved... upgraded the kernel.

>> I have only been running this particular install for 3 days now.  My
>> previous sid install went south on an upgrade.  On the previous install
>> I never saw this problem, upgrading through several kernels over more
>> than a year of use.
>
> Well, ibm-acpi on 2.6.18 is quite... crusty.  Try at least the newest one
> for 2.6.18 I have in ibm-acpi.sf.net, hopefully it will either just work, or
> it will have better debug output that can help me track down what is wrong.
>
> Still, for a T40, I'd use a 2.6.20 or 2.6.21 kernel, and the latest
> thinkpad-acpi and tp_smapi.

In order to keep things simple and tidy, I try to keep things within the
debian archives.  I just don't have the time to keep up with a lot of
packages anymore.  I just did a dist-upgrade to testing and installed
the 2.6.21 kernel and the problem is solved.

Thanks for your help.  I guess I should have upgraded before posting,
huh?  (slaps forehead)  So much for running stable.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                     robdcraw@gmail.com

Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.