[ltp] Intel Pro/1000 MT eeprom T42p

KY Chen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

I was trying out hdaps utilities, and loaded the modules in feisty Kubuntu.=
 After a reboot, my 3 year-old T42p started to act up with PXE-05 errors du=
ring the bootup process, then the Expansion ROM error. I was traveling at t=
he time and simply turned off all the internal LAN options in the BIOS. Tha=
t way, I can at least boot into an OS and use my wireless. Examples of what=
 I saw on the screen can be found at this website: http://www.matinfo.ch/bl=
og/archive/2007/01/26/intel-nic-pxe-e05-error.html=0A=0ANow, I the problem =
seemed to have worsened. Re-enabling the LAN doesn't give me any errors any=
more. In fact, my bios states that my MAC address (Internal LAN) is "not ap=
plicable." Booting with the CD and executing the Intel ProBoot Agent utilit=
ies 'ibautil.exe -defcfg' hasn't helped either. According to ibautil, I don=
't have a flashable ROM. Currently my MAC address according to WinXP and ib=
autil.exe is FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF. Flashing with a newer bios (3.23), then rev=
erting (3.21) hasn't helped either. The ethernet is not useable at all.=0A=
=0AIntel ProSet in WinXP sees the ethernet adapter, but diagnostic results =
indicate that eeprom failed. In Kubuntu Feisty, I am completely unable to s=
ee eth0. (I dual-boot.)=0A=0AI was wondering if anyone here is able to give=
 me a clarification as to what the eeprom is, and whether I'm able to refla=
sh this. My warranty just expired, so I'm trying to avoid sending my laptop=
 back to IBM/Lenovo. I can't imagine having any out-of-warranty repairs to =
be cheap at IBM/Lenovo centers. I'm a little surprised how something like t=
his could happen, whether this was initially caused by a software issue or =
something else. Finally, I'd really appreciate any advice as to what option=
s I have available. Wireless just isn't mean for transfering large files.=
=0A=0AThanks,=0A=0AKwan=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A       =0A___________________________=
eal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.=0Ahttp:=
//farechase.yahoo.com/