[ltp] Debian Testing (Lenny) and X Display Manager Problems on T20

Michael Karcher linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:20:29 +0200

--=-c2Shwnf8/Mv/IvCK6Cpd

Am Freitag, den 27.07.2007, 04:46 -0500 schrieb Frank Huddleston:
> from another computer: the connection is rejected. Evidently I need to
> have sshd installed:=20
> apt-get install sshd doesn't do anything because it doesn't find a
> sshd package. Adding this capability means knowing the name of the
> package I have to install, and I don't know that: all I know is that
> my machines to which I can connect with ssh have sshd_config in
> the /etc/ssh directory, and this one doesn't: it's just got
> ssh_config. That's about the extent of my insufficient knowledge about
> that.
This is not mainly a debian support list, but as a debian user, I can
offer some help to this question: If you need something called "sshd"
and there is no package called that way, it is very likely that sshd is
mentioned in the package's description. Of course, no one is expected to
read 10.000 packages description by hand, but this is what "apt-cache
search" is doing for you. On my bastardized debian (mixing packages from
nearly any flavour available), the output is as follows:

 karcher@hermes:~$ apt-cache search sshd
 libjsch-java - java secure channel
 libjsch-java-doc - java secure channel examples
 openssh-server - secure shell server, an rshd replacement

Obviously, the third package is the one to install. The other approach
is suspecting, that ssh is somewhere in the package's name, which can be
searched by "apt-cache search --names-only ssh" to reduce the amount of
false positives having ssh only in the description. In that case, I get
around 40 matches, of course including openssh-server.

> I must have messed up the video interface, probably when I installed
> xdm and made it the default. Booting into single-user mode is no
> better anymore: although theoretically it doesn't start any of the
> display managers, it gets to some part about "savagexxxx" (reading the
> screen upon boot) and then I get the "banded" display I described.
This looks like you are using a new kernel and are using framebuffer
consoles. As I still use vga text mode consoles, I cannot don't now
whether savagefb got broken, but it looks this way.

Try booting with the option "video=3Dsavage_fb:off" to disable the savage
framebuffer console.

Hope that helps,
 Michael Karcher (another T20 user)

--=-c2Shwnf8/Mv/IvCK6Cpd