[ltp] Re: X60s / 2.6.22 / suspend2ram

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:38:42 +0200

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> On Jul/29/2007, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
>
> > hibernate != suspend, the two look the same, but they are really completely
> > independent, and hibernate is for my point of view currently, completly
> > broken.
>
> In my T60, hibernate, with ReiserFS, no XFS (but I can add if it is
> usefull, not for root), wireless, propietary ATI drivers, Wifi, Kernel
> 2.6.22 working fine with one problem: one each 5 times that I resume
> after hibernate, it swaps a lot and the best solutions is to restart.
> with 2.6.20 I didn't have this issue.
>
> I repeat: is not always, and the problem is that Kernel starts to swap.
> Don't know why.

first .. i can't recommend reiserfs, because its nearly unmaintained, and it has
a long history for making trouble/shredder and data.

on big change from 2.6.20 -> 22 was the move to "work queues", this move is
showing how broken/unstable the current hibernate is.

for the sake of your data.. just use an pre 2.6.22 kernel or wait for a
better implementation of the hibernate path the kernel, or if you have time,
report the problem to the lkml.

--
Florian Reitmeir