[ltp] Re: X60s / 2.6.22 / suspend2ram

Carles Pina i Estany linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:29:34 +0200

Hello,

On Jul/30/2007, Florian Reitmeir wrote:

> > On Jul/29/2007, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> >
> > > hibernate != suspend, the two look the same, but they are really completely
> > > independent, and hibernate is for my point of view currently, completly
> > > broken.
> >
> > In my T60, hibernate, with ReiserFS, no XFS (but I can add if it is
> > usefull, not for root), wireless, propietary ATI drivers, Wifi, Kernel
> > 2.6.22 working fine with one problem: one each 5 times that I resume
> > after hibernate, it swaps a lot and the best solutions is to restart.
> > with 2.6.20 I didn't have this issue.
> >
> > I repeat: is not always, and the problem is that Kernel starts to swap.
> > Don't know why.
>
> first .. i can't recommend reiserfs, because its nearly unmaintained,
> and it has a long history for making trouble/shredder and data.

I have been using reiserfs since before it was in kernel mainstream, in
lot of systems and without any problem.
Anyway, I am changing (the new systems) to XFS, i feel that is not
maintained, etc.

> on big change from 2.6.20 -> 22 was the move to "work queues", this
> move is showing how broken/unstable the current hibernate is.

well, for me is not "broken". I only have the issue that, after resume
from hibernate, kernel starts to swap a lot. And not every time, only
20% times aprox.

> for the sake of your data.. just use an pre 2.6.22 kernel or wait for a
> better implementation of the hibernate path the kernel, or if you have time,
> report the problem to the lkml.

:-o iep! I will have to think about it :-)

Is it 2.6.22 hibernation so bad? Can I have data problems? (not only
performance as I feel). Yes, I can report to lkml, but I have only one
symptom (too much swap) and during one week and half I don't have time
to answer lot of questions/tests about it. Is anybody working on it?

11th August I will check again (after work and off-line holidays). If it
is not fixed, I will report.

Thanks for all information,

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona