hibernate, was Re: [ltp] Re: X60s / 2.6.22 / suspend2ram

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:48:02 +0200

Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> on big change from 2.6.20 -> 22 was the move to "work queues", this move is
> showing how broken/unstable the current hibernate is.

I cannot really support your statement. Here I have a kernel 2.6.22.1
plus tux-on-ice (former suspend2) suspend-to-disk. Runs flawlessly even
over many times of hibernation.

Internally, there have been workqueues being used for a long time, e.g.
in dm-crypt. And I know that hibernation into a dm-crypt'ed swap area
works for over 2 1/2 years know.

> for the sake of your data.. just use an pre 2.6.22 kernel or wait for a
> better implementation of the hibernate path the kernel, or if you have time,
> report the problem to the lkml.

You might want to give tux-on-ice a try. For me it is the perfect
solution, although the only downside to it is that it is not part of the
kernel. However, the maintainer is very (!) reactive, and my experience
is that problems are sorted out really quickly.

Ulrich