[ltp] Suspend with kernel 2.6.22.1

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:21:55 +0200

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Martin Lorenz wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 12:47:08AM +0200, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Mihai C=C4=83lin Bazon wrote:
> > > I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.6.22.1, after having previously
> > > used 2.6.20.1 (where suspend worked well, both to mem and to disk).
> > > Now all I get is:
> > >=20
> > >     Suspending console(s)
> > >=20
> > > and the system is frozen.  Googling for it, I found a few people
> > > reporting the same problem but no solutions yet.
> > >=20
> > > Anyone here having similar problems? (and maybe solutions? :D)
> > >=20
> > > ( ThinkPad T60p, though I'm not sure it matters all that much... )
> > - make sure you use no SD card while suspending,
> I always suspend with my SD card mounted
> > - try to minimize the number of mounted filesystem to a minimum
> why this?
> should I unmount filesystems prior to suspending?
2.6.22 introduced "work queues" and IMHO  they get problematic if they used
on a bigger stack .
xfs is using work queues and when used with SD the stack looks like:
SD -> SDHCI -> MMC -> BLOCK

> what the hell did they do?
> I was about to change to 2.6.22(.1) today but I think I will leave it alo=
ne
> until this is worked out.

maybe you could just try it, so hopefully the problem is reproduceable, and=
problem report could be made to LKML to fix the issue.

_for me_ unmounting and removing the SD card did the catch.

> Is there some testing to be done?
> are there patches to be tried on different configurations?
> mine is X60s 1702-55G

i have the same model, and without SD my system suspends fine.

> and what about the change of sda to hda mentioned in the other mail?
thats an other "isse", libata vs. IDE in the kernel.

--=20
Florian Reitmeir