[ltp] Installing Ubuntu on 2nd hard drive

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:09:43 +0100

On Tue 31 Jul 2007, Lutz Lesener wrote:

> I would like to install Ubuntu (Feisty) on the 2nd (ultrabay) drive of my
> Z61m. Since my job requires me to use Vista as well, I don't want Ubuntu to
> touch the MBR of the first (standard) hard drive. Instead, I would like to
> change the boot sequence on BIOS level to boot from the 2nd hard drive (if
> available) and and use the 1st hard drive (Vista) only when the ultrabay
> drive is not present.
>
> I would be grateful if somebody could point me into the right direction how
> to achieve this...

I have done this without problem.
The Windows stanza in /etc/grub.conf has to read something like
title Windows XP
        map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
        map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
Also of course one has to run "grub-install /dev/sdb".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366