[ltp] presentation to show linux

Sat, 02 Jun 2007 00:49:16 +0100

r8scq7b02@sneakemail.com wrote:
> On Friday 01 June 2007 16:24, Joe Zien wrote:
>> I belong to a computer club that is 98% window$ and want to show
>> the advantages of linux.
>
> You should know your audience. Choose what is right for them. For example, if
> they are mostly made out of people that are easily amazed by flashy
> and "cool" programs, show off Compiz. Search the Internet for the best video
> demonstrations of compiz, beryl and metisse. Show them how it's done, then
> give out a LiveCD or two with the programs you demonstrate (Mandriva for
> Metisse, Sabayon for Beryl).
>
> Of course, if your audience is not so easily impressed by shiny things, show
> them something that will.

Indeed. I'd have thought that a computer *club* might be impressed by
some of the more technical things. Example:

  konqueror and  fish://            (Drag'n'Drop file GUI over ssh)
  This is *amazingly* neat if you also have ssh keys enabled.
  [I wrote a summary here:
http://www.richardneill.org/a22p-mdk11-0.php#ssh ]

  the fact that everything can be so easily scripted, because everything
has a CLI equivalent (examples: festival, sox, play, mplayer, convert, wget)

  package management is so much better.

  development environment: how easy it is to do simple programming.

  Also, for those who haven't seen it before, VNC and Qemu are a revelation.

Richard

P.S. Other flashy things: xscreensaver-gl  (helios in particular), and
tuxracer.