[ltp] presentation to show linux

Fredrik Wendt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 02 Jun 2007 20:43:36 +0200

2007-06-01 @ 23:13 -0400, Alex Deucher:
> Also running a program on one PC and sending the display to another is
> always a good show.

Actually, since the audience probably are somewhat tech oriented -
showing off Xen might be very impressive too.

A few months ago our computer society/club had Novell over to talk and
share their view on FOSS, open source, their product, SuSE (and
OpenSuSE), etc. What they did was to bring three regular DELL laptops:

A) A SLED installation + Xen (any Xen-enabled thing will do)

B) A SLED installation + Xen (any Xen...)

C) A normal SLED installation (a regular desktop installation)

The person that held the technical presentation started a VLC streaming
server on a DomU-instance running on machine A. He then opened two
terminal windows on C, with a ssh session to machine A in one xterm
window, and a second window with ssh to machine B. In both windows he
ran vmtop to show that the streaming server DomU instance was running on
A (and that B had no running DomUs).

He fired up a regular VLC player on machine C, starting playback of the
stream from the streaming server (that was still running on A).

In a third terminal window he then executed a xen move (on machine A,
using ssh), that moved the streaming server from A to B, with a really
small minor glitch in the movie playback.

Everyone could see the minor glitch and could follow the complete move
of the DomU instance. I hade never seen it before, at least not two
meters away from me live, and that it was sooo easy to do.

Do I need to tell you what happened with the give away-CD:s they
brought? :) Novell's distribution also has beryll/compiz and the new
nifty menu installed by default (I'm told - I use Ubuntu myself) so
that's also eye candy to those that think that "Linux" is years behind
in terms of being "desktop ready".

No matter what you choose to show, good luck!

/ Fredrik