[ltp] Burning DVD

Sun, 03 Jun 2007 02:50:13 +0100

SOTL wrote:
> I built this box about 4 years ago and have not touched it in over 2 years
> except for usage.
>
> The computer to my recollection has always had this problem.
>
> The program and other programs see the burners and are able to read CD and
> DVD.  It just can not write CDs or DVDs.
>
> Checkingdevices I found that
> burner hda=3,0,1
> burner hdb=3,64,1
>
> If I recall correctly
> floppy = 1,0,?
>
> Which means that the HD must be 2,0?
>
> If the ribbon cables for the burners and HD were switched would this issue
> occur.

I don't think it's a cable issue. What does gcombust say when you ask it
to autodetect the burner?

Are you using a sufficiently old kernel that you'd need to use ide-scsi?
If so, you need to boot with an extra kernel parameter, hdX=scsi.

Also, are you sure it isn't a permissions thing? Check whether you can
burn as root. And make sure you haven't got the device mounted. (eg
supermount?)

Lastly, if you want to make a quick check of the hardware, using a
modern kernel, boot it with knoppix. That will quickly let you bisect
the problem into Hardware vs Software.

HTH,

Richard