[ltp] Intel TurboCache and Linux Thinkpads

Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:04:54 +1000

--=-gycHzoNwWL7gAFj7//0u

Hi,

> Oh, sure -- AFAIK the drivers referenced are the stuff to use it as a
> transparent cache, not necessarily for just getting at the the disk as
> a block device.

Think so, too. As i understood from what i read, at least for the T61
the turbo cache comes as a pcmcia or rather pciexpress card. Naively, i
would assume that it is a 1 GB flash memory card. Question is if that's
the case. Based on that assumption, the windows driver would just
provide the means of using it as a cache rather than an additional
storage (hide it from the system, provide caching logics).

However, it may use different technology, but i doubt that it would be
controlled by the SATA interface. It would rather need to provide it's
own controller, which in linux would either be controlled by pcmcia-ide
or the memory technology subsystems. But i guess we'll not know until
someone has one.

(I never got in touch with pciexpress so when i'm saying pcmcia here, my
meaning includes any possible equivalents for pciexpress.)

Andr=C3=A9.

--=-gycHzoNwWL7gAFj7//0u

--=-gycHzoNwWL7gAFj7//0u--