[ltp] [offtopic] how to use windows?

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:32:59 -0400

Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
> Just got my X41 from service (HDD died and replaced) with
> pre-installed Windows XP.  I decided to update BIOS and firmwares
> with magic Auto-Seek-And-Dest^WUpdate Tool.
>
> There were lots of pre-installed sh*t, like tablet tools, google
> desktop/picasa, symantec antivirus and so on.  Windows boots for
> about 2-3 minutes and then for about 5-7 minutes it was so slow,
> than any slower and programs will be running backwards.

When XP was new, MS claimed it would start up faster than Windows 2000.
Well, you can see your desktop sooner, but you can't do much.  When I
start up my work computer, I go get a coffee.  I then come back to my
desk and log in.  I then read the paper for a while and drink some
coffee (maybe have a cookie or two) as my desktop comes up.  It's a few
minutes from when my desktop appears, to when I can actually do
something.  On the other hand, with Linux, as soon as the desktop
appears, I can click on something and know it will run!
> OK.  ThinkVantage, System Update, Find updates.  First of all
> System update have updated itself three times in a row.  Finaly
> I've updated BIOS without any visible problems.  Next stop - HDD
> and CDRW firmwares.
>
> Go to lenovo website, download firmware updates (ISO, since I
> don't have floppy) and...  From now on I tried to play "average
> windows user".
>
> How do you burn ISO image from Windows XP?  Short answer: You
> can't.  Long answer: Download Nero Burning Rom (trial version,
> 150 megabytes, don't know how much it costs).  By turning
> "advanced user mode" on I've found 200K DLL that adds "Burn ISO
> image" menu item to context menu.
>
> While downloading linux installer CD I tried to watch Pink Floyd
> Pulse DVD concert.  "Wow!  DVD disk detected.  Wanna watch with
> Windows Media Player?", asked Windows XP?  "OK", I replied.  "You
> can't watch DVD", said Windows XP, "because you don't have
> codecs."
>
> Menu, Plugins, Download Plugins, Codecs...  5-6 links, click...
> "Only now and only for you these pretty MPEG-2 codecs for only
> $14.95 and I'm cutting me own throat!"...  So I gave up and
> installed linux.
>
> How do people use Windows?  You can't just apt-get install /
> emerge / whatever your-favorite-applications.  You can't upgrade
> all your installed applications.  Some (most of) applications you
> have to buy.  You can set up nice workplace, probably with free
> components but you should spend a lot of time searching for it
> and then tracking updates manually.
>

> I can't use Windows any more after seven linux-only life.  Sorry
> for a bit of offtopic, but I needed to tell this to someone ;-)
> Linux forever! ;-)

I also quickly get fed up with using Windows.  I feel so restricted,
compared to Linux or OS/2.