[ltp] X60s / Ubuntu Gutsy Tribe 1 / Kernel 2.6.22 / Power Savings?

Ari El linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:15:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, the latest development release of ubuntu features a kernel that supports
Dynticks (wake up the processor only when necessary), and in the
announcement, the ubuntu team mentions this:

    http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/tribe1

   "For massive power, heat and headache reduction the kernel now features
dynticks, which in laptops should mean more battery life and burnfree laps,
and in desktops, media center pcs etc. a quieter, cooler environment."

   I was wondering if anyone tried this release (or kernel feature, for that
matter) and if power consumption really goes down, and what the power
consumption numbers are for this kernel. My X60s rarely goes lower than 10
to 9.2W while in linux (with all sort of modules removed, laptop-mode, WiFi
off, minimum lcd bright, using Writer), while windows typically works at
7.5W when using openoffice writer, and wifi on but idle.

Thanks