[ltp] [offtopic] how to use windows?

Jan Kundrát linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:06:26 +0200

--------------enig81E86DE98D8293DB104DAE7E

Igor V. Rafienko wrote:
> VLC? Mplayer? Surely other 3rd party tools. Asking microsoft to supply
> codecs for every digital format "out of the box" is akin to asking Linu=
> Torvalds (or Andrew Morton, or whoever the maintainer of the relevant
> kernel tree is) to do the same.

Nope, it's like asking your favorite distribution to install it for you.
Dunno about yours, but my favorite distribution provides that.

> However, in all fairness, this is not a proper comparison. A linux
> *kernel* alone will not give you mplayer's goodiness. There are
> additional packages like amarok, mplayer, vlc, xine, k3b, etc. that one=

> has to install in order to have a usable multimedia experience. They ar=
> easy to install too (for most distros), but they are still additional
> packages.

You don't install Linux kernel, you install a distribution. You don't
install Windows kernel alone, either, you install that "Windows" thingy.

Cheers,
-jkt

--=20
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth