[ltp] 560Z and 3Com 3cCFE575BT Cardbus card slow as 16Bit-PCMCIA since upgrade

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:21:33 +0200

Hi wes,

wes schreiner wrote:
> Heiko Rosemann wrote:
>> So, if anyone has any suggestions for me - I'd be happy to try them out,
>> this is driving me nuts.
>
> I think this is the clue:
>
>> z560 ~ # mii-diag
>> Using the default interface 'eth0'.
>> Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  1000 282d 0300 e54b 00a1 41e1 0003 0000.
>>  The autonegotiated capability is 00a0.
>> The autonegotiated media type is 100baseTx.
>>
>> (note: should be 100baseTx-FD - but forcing that with -F doesn't work
>> either)
>>
>>  Basic mode control register 0x1000: Auto-negotiation enabled.
>>  You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
>>  Your link partner advertised 41e1: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD
>> 10baseT.
>>    End of basic transceiver information.
>
> There is nothing you could do by way of misconfiguration that would
> cause the card to select half duplex when the other end advertises full
> duplex.  I suspect that you have a hardware problem, probably cabling.
> Can you try a different cable between the card and your switch?  If the
> existing cable is long could you try a short one?  Perhaps try a
> crossover cable to another computer?  Here, with nearly the same card,
> on a 2.6.21.4-rt10 kernel, in a Thinkpad T30, with a 100baseTx-FD
> connection, to another computer on the same switch, I can get 10 to 11

Ah, right, I knew I'd forget some information at one o'clock at night ;)
Yes, I already tried a crossover cable to my X30 - but autonegotiation
selected HalfDuplex (on both ends) as well, forcing FullDuplex didn't
work either. And the speed was the same :(

There could still be a failure in that short cable from the network card
to the TP-connector. I can't really sort that out...

I also forgot another piece of information: It really is the network
connection, I've tried applications ranging from scp down to netcat -
transfer speed stayed low.

> MB/s in sustained transfers of hundreds of MB.  Do you see collisions or
> errors with ifconfig after trying some transfers?  A lot of collisions
> will kill your speed too.

I don't know what "a lot" means in numbers - but I do get collisions,
around 5-10 per second. This points to hardware trouble?

When I come to think about the problem, I guess I've been using
pcmcia-cs with the slackware install, so I'm going to try that too...

Regards, Heiko