[ltp] Re: Radeon and 1680x1050

Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:14:09 -0400

On 6/10/07, Rolf Leggewie <no2spam@nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Sure. No problem.  BTW, the xrandr-1.2 branch of the radeon driver is
> > shaping up well and I would encourage others to test it out.
>
> Great!
>
> I guess trying them out would entail some recompilation?  Are you
> running Debian or one of the derivatives?  What packages would I need to
> recompile and augment what code?  I guess
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/xc/lib/Xrandr/ only is not going to
> be sufficient.

cvs is long dead.  all of the xorg stuff has been moved to git. See
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org

At the very least you'll need xserver 1.3 and the latest xrandr bits.
Debian already has these bits and I believe one of the debian folks is
maintaining radeon xrandr-1.2 packages, but I can't find the link off
hand.

> >> The only real "complaint" I have is that when I go to VT 1 and then back
> >> to X the laptops internal display seems to be dropping to 8-bit color.
>
> > I'm not sure I've seen that before. Is it temporary during the switch
> > or permanent after you've switched back?
>
> It is permanent.  The external screen keeps the higher color setting
> where the internal screen looses some color detail.  Maybe it is not
> really that the X server is dropping to 8-bit after all but it sure
> looks like it is missing a lot of color detail.

I suspect one the CLUT is not being restore properly for crtc1 so the
palette is wrong.  Can you file a bug at https://bugs.freedesktop.org?

> >> Furthermore, I have the laptop display on the left and the bigger screen
> >> on the right.  When moving the mouse in the lower left corner of my
> >> external bigger screen and accidentally moving over to the smaller
> >> internal display, I don't return to the original position on the big
> >> screen.  I assume I return about 768 pixels from the top.  This can be
> >> annoying.  Is there any way to "deactivate" this?
> >
> > I'm not quite sure I understand.  However, there are offset options
> > for mergedfb where you can align heads at different offsets.  Perhaps
> > this is what you want?
>
> Well, I use Xinerama since the internal display is 1024x768 and the
> external one is 1680x1050.  AFAIK, MergedFB does not allow for that.

Sure it does.  dis-similar head sizes have been supported since the
beginning.  you can either have the heads scroll or set the
non-rectangular option and they will stay at fixed offsets.

> I'll try to depict graphically what I mean
>
> 1st step, I am on the right, big, external TFT. x depicts the mouse
> pointer position.
>
> +---------+-------------+
> |         |             |
> |   int   |             |
> |         |     ext     |
> +---------+             |
>           |             |
>           |x            |
>           +-------------+
>
> 2nd step. I (accidentally) move the mouse a bit to the left.
>
> +---------+-------------+
> |         |             |
> |   int   |             |
> |        x|     ext     |
> +---------+             |
>           |             |
>           |             |
>           +-------------+
>
> 3rd step. I move back right to the external display. x is actual
> position. x* is of course where I'd expect to see it.
>
> +---------+-------------+
> |         |             |
> |   int   |             |
> |         |x    ext     |

So you'd like bottom rather than top alignment?  That can be achieved
with the offset option I mentioned before.  However, with that
enabled, you will get the current behavior at the top.

Alex