[ltp] X60s / Ubuntu Gutsy Tribe 1 / Kernel 2.6.22 / Power Savings?

Stefan Blum linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:45:41 +0200

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 16:20, Ari El wrote:
> Hey Stefan, that sounds good!!! finally, we are getting to the same  WinXP
> power drain level!
It was a test-only configuration, with as many tweaks as possible, but yes,
we're getting there ;-)

> Could you post more details on your software configuration? I mean, which
> modules (if any) you rmmod'ed,
uhci_hcd; e1000; the alsa-modules; firewire just in case

> the settings you use for wifi / audio
wifi: iwpriv eth2 set_power 7
audio: unloaded

> subsystem / graphics chipset powersaving (if you use any)
graphics: nodri option

> ... do you use Beryl?
not that I know of ;-)

> You mention some "powertop" patches? can you specify which, and what for?
I patched ntpd (and nevertheless stopped to use it, switched to ntpdate in
if-pre.up), dhcdbd, knotify

> Also, do you have to manually enable dynticks with a command line or via a
> kernel build parameter or does it come enabled by default in 2.6.22?

Kernel option set to Y, no further action required (that is 2.6.21 here)

> When you get to 7.5W, what is the bright level you are using?
lowest - otherwise, you need some 1.5 to 2 more W

> Is wifi on or off?
Strangely, setting powersave mode 7 (see above) saves more power (~0.7W) than
unloading ipw3945. Otherwise, wifi is off.

> Sorry to flood you with questions :) :)
> Thanks!

No problem... Using powertop, I also disabled a lot of the programs that kept
waking up the cpu - which includes tpb, kicker (I know - but hey, it causes a
LOT of wakeups), powersaved (yes, it saves power to stop the power saving
daemon!) powersaving is set to ondemand btw.

Regards, Stefan