[ltp] UltraBase with X60s

Sebastian Schmidt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:41:34 +0200

Hi Manuel,
thanks for your reply.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 10:20:20PM +0200, Manuel Bessler wrote:
> >I wonder if anyone got the UltraBase (with a DVD drive in it)
> >working on an X60s.
>
> I do. (I have the multi-burner in the Ultrabase)

Hmm, mine only burns CDs, AFAIK. FRU# is 39T1579, but I doubt that
matters :-)

> >Booting with the UltraBase already attached works fine - I can use the
> >DVD drive and even unregister (via echo 1>delete) and reattach (with
> >echo 0 0 0 > scan) it.
>
> Hmm... I always load/unload the ata_piix module, that alone works fine.
> I'm using the following kernel parameters to make this work:
> hda=noprobe libata.atapi_enable=1

Hm, neither with or without these boot options. What exactly is hda in
your case? I think somewhere around 2.6.20 or so some hd* devices have
been renamed to sd*/scd*.

When reloading ata_piix, I only get the following:
| ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1f.1 disabled
| PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.1[C] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
| ata7: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x000101f0 ctl 0x000103f6 bmdma 0x00011810 irq 14
| ata8: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x00010170 ctl 0x00010376 bmdma 0x00011818 irq 15
| scsi6 : ata_piix
| ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x000101f7
| scsi7 : ata_piix

It seems that scsi4 and scsi5 don't get unloaded properly (these were
the devices(?) claimed by ata_piix before unloading), as the new devices
become scsi[67]. But this is just wild guessing.

> There was a page on thinkwiki that showed how to get DMA working on
> the DVD drive in the Ultrabase. Thats were the parameters are coming
> from, and the fact that ata_piix is compiled as a module.

Linux claims "Unknown boot option `libata.atapi_enable=1': ignoring", so
I took a look at Thinkwiki. Did you speak of
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux? I tried the
"options libata atapi_enabled=1" thing, updated my initrd and checked if
it is in there, but the problem remains the same. I have no idea if
modprobe actually honored this parameter (lsmod unfortunately doesn't
show up the parameters), and reloading libata is not possible, as ahci
depends on it.

> You just have to remember to unload ata_piix before undocking.

I would appreciate if I just could *dock*, then I'd care about undocking
:-)

Sebastian