[ltp] System sometimes doesn't wake up

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:37:46 +0200

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:39:06 +0200, "Tino Keitel"
<tino.keitel@tikei.de> said:
> > * Remove the card, send the system to suspend to RAM, insert the
> >   card, try to resume.  If the problems reoccur, then it's likely
> >   that the card is somehow detected during the resume process.

What just happened:

* I had the card inserted when I suspended the system.

* I removed the card.

* The system didn't wake up.  In fact, it didn't go to sleep entirely:
  The disk was still running and, in addition to the halfmoon, the
  battery LED was still on.

=> The problem is not caused by the card being detected when the system
=> is waking up or som such thing.

> > 1. The system is suspended, and doesn't wake up when I raise the
> >    lid.
>
> You can configure this in the BIOS AFAIK, at least when you
> suspend to RAM.

I'm using ACPI.  Most power savings BIOS settings refer to APM.

> > 2. I press the power button for a couple of seconds.  The system
> >    turns off.
>
> This is absolutely normal behaviour.

I know.

> > 3. I press the power button, the system boots, but it doesn't even
> >    get to the boot manager.
>
> What happens instead?

IIRC, the screen stays blank, but the HDD goes on.

> > 4. I press the power button again to turn the system off.
> >
> > 5. I press the power button to turn the system on, and now it works.
>
> This is weird. Is this only the case with the card inserted?

Yes.

> > Well, it doesn't get that far.  The system doesn't resume, or at
> > least doesn't finish the resume process.
>
> Ah, ok. This is bad. How about using a newer kernel

Too much hassle since that would require updating many parts of the
system (look at the kernel dependencies, espeically in the 2.6 series
they're always changing).

> and stop using cardctl eject and unloading any modules?

Well, "cardctl eject" and unloading modules isn't bad AFAICS.

- Felix
--
Felix E. Klee