[ltp] X60s / Ubuntu Gutsy Tribe 1 / Kernel 2.6.22 / Power Savings?

dibson hoffweiler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:15:41 -0400

Dibson Hoffweiler wrote:
> Ari El wrote:
>>     http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/tribe1
>>
>>    "For massive power, heat and headache reduction the kernel now
>> features
>> dynticks, which in laptops should mean more battery life and burnfree
>> laps,
>> and in desktops, media center pcs etc. a quieter, cooler environment."
>>
>>    I was wondering if anyone tried this release (or kernel feature,
>> for that
>> matter) and if power consumption really goes down, and what the power
>> consumption numbers are for this kernel. My X60s rarely goes lower
>> than 10
>> to 9.2W while in linux (with all sort of modules removed, laptop-mode,
>> WiFi
>> off, minimum lcd bright, using Writer), while windows typically works at
>> 7.5W when using openoffice writer, and wifi on but idle.
>
> I just finished an upgrade to Gutsy on my X60s.  My laptop tends to run
> pretty hot, but I've never actually measured the power consumption.  How
> does one do this?
>
> I'll report back after using it for a bit, but so far it's working.

So, after switching to Gutsy, my X60s was going at about 12W.  I wasn't
doing anything to ensure using less power though - wifi, all default
modules were in (and I added ibm-acpi myself...).

I was having a little too much trouble with Gutsy though - wireless
networking issues being the most significant.  If I had more free time I
would have rolled with it and tried to fix it up.

So I went back to feisty, which claims 15W.  If I get a chance, I'll
upgrade the kernel, but we'll see if I have the time for that....

-dth