[ltp] x41 volume, mute buttons, and acpi

Thu, 28 Jun 2007 02:03:18 +0300

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 05:38:31PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> marius wrote:
>  > They have an effect on alsa mixer levels on my laptop.  Actually, they
>  > have a double effect:
>=20
> sigh.  remind me never to buy another thinkpad.  they definitely don't
> go to acpid on my X41, and there's no setting in the bios that lets
> one control that behavior.  what idiocy.  :-/
>=20
>  >   * the BIOS changes the hardware mixer volume level (you can observe =
it
>  >     via /proc/acpi/ibm/volume)
>  >=20
>  >   * they send keyboard events (I think thinkpad-keys from the
>  >     hotkey-setup package is responsible for this), which are mapped to
>  >     GNOME's global key bindings that change the volume (of the ALSA
>  >     'master' mixer).
>=20
> so you get two volume changes stacked on top of one another?  one from
> the bios, and one from keybindings?

Yes.  It's not really noticeable; the total effect is just volume
change with a somewhat bigger step.  The GNOME keybindings give me a
pretty popup volume bar, while the hardware effect gives me a mute that
actually mutes the suspend/resume beeps, so I'm happy to have both.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
This host is a black hole at HTTP wavelengths. GETs go in, and nothing
comes out, not even Hawking radiation.
                -- Graaagh the Mighty on rec.games.roguelike.angband

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--