[ltp] T40 Powe Management Problem?

sjk linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:02:06 -0500

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Hi sjk!
>
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, sjk wrote:
>
>> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>
>>> I assume this is true by looking at Ubuntu's /etc/acpi/sleep.sh, which
>>> ignores ACPI events when it finds one of the other above-mentioned
>>> daemons running.  Before it did that, suspending the laptop used to
>>> result in nice sleep-resume-sleep again cycles when both acpid and
>>> gnome-power-manager both handled the event.

>>> Doesn't "hibernate" mean "suspend to disk"?  I think you mean "sleep".
>>>
>>> Marius Gedminas
>> Perhaps it is sleep. . . the screen goes blank and I can't recover so I
>> am not sure what it is. I run pretty light -- windowmaker and acpid. I
>> have no acpi events or actions defined for the lid. If I kill acpid the
>> machine still halts when the lid closes -- I did just notice that
>> [kacpid] is still running -- leaving me to believe it is something in
>> the kernel. . . .
>
> The kernel does not react to lid events.  But go into the bios and tell it
> to not try to suspend the machine when the lid closes, that MIGHT make some
> difference to the ACPI events it generates when nothing is processing
> hotkeys.
>
> And run an lsof to track down everything that is listening to
> /proc/acpi/event.

I disabled that function in the bios and it made no difference. I am
beginning to wonder if it's not a problem with X recovering. I can
suspend to disk when after the lid is closed and then opened and
occasionally recover from the suspend. I discovered today that once the
lid is reopened the keyboard is active -- but the display won't 'un-blank'

THanks - sjk