[ltp] Question on X60

Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:49:07 -0300

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
> - X60 comes with i945 graphics.This one is apparently not detected correctly
> by the acpi-daemon (or the ibm_acpi module)

Usually ibm-acpi doesn't care at all about the video hardware.  It talks to
the ACPI DSDT, only.

> - /proc/acpi/ibm/video does not react to video_switch events as expected.
> (echo video_switch > /proc/acpi/ibm/video) IMHO this is a bug.

Not if X told the ACPI DSDT to lock down video switching, which it might
well do.  I don't know about the intel GMA drivers, but the ATI driver can
do that, and does it by default.  The ATI driver lets you tell it to not
lock down the ACPI video switching.  I don't know about the intel driver.

> I assume the problem is buried somewhere down in the acpi-subsystem, maybe in
> ibm_acpi.ko; but I could not track that down until now. I think it is not
> related to the X-server.

Make extremely sure X is not masking off "bios hotkeys" or anything like
that.  If it does, ibm-acpi commands to switch the video output will --
*correctly* -- do nothing.

Also, boot the machine in single user mode, do *NOT* let the X server start
*at* *all*, and try ibm-acpi video switching.  Warning: may crash or do
stupid things depending on how well the kernel framebuffer support for intel
chips is behaving nowadays, I wouldn't know.

  Henrique Holschuh