[ltp] Re: Question on X60

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 02 Mar 2007 02:25:51 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Mar 2007, Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
[...]
>> 1b.) i810switch can toggle all states: LFP only, CRT only, LFP + CRT, so I
>> think the i945 chipset in the X60 does support both outputs on. (to Alex)
>
> And it also means that the X.org and kernel drivers could add code to do it,
> if they haven't done that yet.  Good.  Someone that can test it could also
> start working on kernel framebuffer support.

Just for the sake of completeness: Monitor switching can also be quite
desirable for people working on the text console WITHOUT using the
framebuffer. Since we are talking about laptops, the most obvious
reason not to use the framebuffer is the trouble it makes after a
suspend2ram / resume cycle. This applies to vesafb and even more so to
intelfb, at least it did the last time I checked (two or three major
kernel releases back). It would be very sad if ibm-acpi dropped that
feature as long as there is no alternative for console users too.

Regards,

Elias