[ltp] frequencies, throttling

Carles Pina i Estany linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:50:48 +0100

Hello,

Mail from Benjami reminded me something that I wanted to ask. When I want to safe battery I set up low frequency (or governor sets up).

But I noticed that there is too:
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling

I think that I always have (even in low freq):

state count:             8
active state:            T0
states:
   *T0:                  00%
    T1:                  12%
    T2:                  25%
    T3:                  37%
    T4:                  50%
    T5:                  62%
    T6:                  75%
    T7:                  87%

(If I don't change manually, echo 7 > /proc...)

Anybody could explain me why is there two systems (cpu frequency and
throttling), differences, what is best to use, etc.? At least a ubuntu was
using throttling and not cpu freq to manage the system...
Pointer to some information is valid too :-)

Thank you!

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona