[ltp] Can I disable the mouse touchpad on my T43

Andrew J. Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Mar 2007 19:01:18 -0500

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 22:44 +0000, Richard Neill wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
> > Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >> I've graduated from a T23 (passed on to my grand-daughter) to a T43,
> >> which works very nicely.
> >> But I find the touch-pad slightly annoying,
> >> and would like to disable it if that is possible,
> >> and just use the pointer.
> >>
> >> Can I do that under Linux (Fedora + KDE)?
> >>

> > While I can't say specifically about your model, that sort of thing is
> > generally configured in the BIOS settings.
> >

> Or, you can do it by defining udev rules for the trackpoint + touchpad,
> then only using one of them in xorg.conf

Synaptics touchpads are easily turned off. KDE has a tool for this and
many other touchpad-related tasks called ksynaptics (GTK+ equivalent
called gsynaptics is out there too) and the synclient program that comes
with the X.Org driver can disable it, what's more the syndaemon program
sits in the background and disables the pad while you are typing (IIRC).

So many different ways to skin that cat.

HTH,
Andrew Barr