[ltp] Getting screensaver to ignore mouse movement?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:56:30 -0500

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 21:18, after a long battle with technology,
Richard Neill wrote:
> Has anyone else had the problem where the infinitesimal drift
> (about 0.3 pixel/minute) of the trackpoint causes the
> screensaver/DPMS to never activate?

In general, when I've seen the Trackpoint's drift for more than about 2
seconds, I've seen the firmware autocorrect for the drift pretty
quickly.

> I have never seen this problem on any thinkpad except for one [...]
> Is there a workaround, eg to only make the screensaver care about the
> keyboard?  I'm using the KDE screensaver

There's nothing in the KDE screensaver options for this.  You may have
to hack the code or write something yourself using xscreensaver as a
base.  Most of the time, people want mouse movement to cancel a
screensaver.

> I don't mind manually activating the screen-blanker, or writing a
> script to monitor the relevant line in /proc/interrupts for the
> keyboard, then triggering `xset dpms force off`. But of course, the
> mouse movement would wake it up again!

A script that polled /proc/interrupts every 5 seconds might do the trick
if the mouse pointer were positioned in the corner where it's drifting
naturally.  If the drift direction changes, you may be out of luck
unless you hack X itself--which is a pretty hairy task.  HTH anyway,

--
   We thank with brief thanksgiving / Whatever gods may be
   That no man lives forever, / That dead men rise up never,