[ltp] Re: t60 hangs when using wired ethernet

Jeff Lessem linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:26:33 -0700

Jiang Qian <jqian@physics.harvard.edu> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:07:19AM -0700, Jeff Lessem wrote:
> Do you still have windows installed? If so does it happen under windows,
> too? The first thing to do is to rule out hardware problem.

The original Windows is no longer on the machine, but I installed
Windows XP into the 2GB swap partition.  After 12 hours of wired
network traffic (large pings, file copies, movie playing from a
network share) the computer has not crashed.

My typical way of testing the machine under Linux is to use the tbench
network benchmark.  That will cause the machine to hang in 10-120
minutes.  I tested a different T60 running tbench from a livecd and it
ran without problem for 5 hours.  That same livecd and tbench will
crash the problematic T60.

At this time, the problem seems to be specific to this computer
running Linux.  Could it be a hardware problem that only Linux
tickles?  I'm sure if the in kernel e1000 driver caused a hang on the
T60, it would have been mentioned previously on this list.